Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

This is one of my favorite photos of all time. This place is called "Portal Dolman" and is located in the western portion of Ireland, near the Cliffs of Moher. One of my clients, (now very dear friends), Greg and De Selby, had moved to Wales (UK) and invited Sally and I over to visit them. Realizing we were so close to Ireland, we rented a car and took a ferry over to this beautiful country. The water ride took a few hours and we watched "Braveheart" on the way. We landed at the southeast portion of the country and made our way directly to the western coast. Along the way, we came upon this scene. It was so breathtaking and the adrenaline was really pumping. I set up my panoramic view camera, loaded it with color transparency film and then a storm began to move in, hence the dramatic sky. This Dolman probably houses the graves of a family and the large rocks are probably about four feet high. It is estimated that this Dolman has stood for at least 6000 years, making it older than the pyramids! It is situated in the Burren County Clare. I can't wait to return to the Emerald Isle.

1 comment:

  1. wish I were there to celebrate St. Patti's Day! fabuloso photo, of course!

    ReplyDelete