Monday, July 20, 2009

not "Nekked"

This was one of several images created in the studio for a large insurance company's annual report. We hired some beautiful and young ballet dancers to use as models. Although the final use of the images were in color, I wanted to show one in b/w and added a little tinting for the warmer effect. Black and White photography was my first love. With the absence of color, the viewer has the opportunity to see the image without the distraction of color, thereby taking note of the composition, lines, tonality and contrast. This image was shot with one large light source to the right and a reflector for fill on the left.

Yes, all the models were clothed for this shoot of body parts including knees, feet, elbows and backs. My wife, Missy, is an ER physician who has probably seen most everything imaginable, yet prefers not to see "Nekked" people. ;) While working on my art degree at Transy, in classes I regularly sketched the human form with unclothed models. While I appreciate the beauty of the human form, I agree with one of my former professors, Joe Petro II, who regularly said that humans always look better with their clothes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment