Monday, April 27, 2009

Just a coincidence?

One year ago (plus a couple of days), I went to Crossroads Christian Church to videotape a friend who was giving a "green" message there. Matthew Sleeth, MD has traveled throughout the US since his hit book, "Serve God Save the Planet" hit the stands. He and his wife Nancy had become dear friends of mine so it was not a job to meet them there and shoot some "B" roll footage. By the way, in the last couple of years, he has spoken to over 400 universities and churches.

After an entertaining and thought provoking message, I was introduced to Melissa Cheeseman, who also happened to be an MD. We were talking in the lobby and somehow the topic of suffering came up and I shared that I had been enrolled in the school of suffering since I had lost, Sally, my wife of 20 years. "Missy" mentioned they had done a series recently on Heaven and I told her I would like to hear it since most people want to go there but we don't know much about it. The idea of floating on a cloud playing a harp is not that appealing to many, myself included. She disappeared and then returned after raiding the bookstore giving me an album of CDs.

The next morning, I popped the CD in as I was getting on I-75 to go to work. Yes, even as a photographer, there are some days that qualify as work. Much to my surprise, it was the voice of Missy speaking. She failed to tell me that she was unpaid staff at the church and that she is part of the teaching team in addition to the outward focus which is missions and any kind of service activities beyond the walls.

So, I found her on the web site and popped off an email. We exchanged a few notes and then saw each other most every day. Got married 6 months later. Talk about eating your words! Before meeting her, I had been telling the Lord that I was not interested in dating or being with anybody and that I would be content just to work myself to death, thank you very much. Fortunately, He is God and knows much better about what I need than I do. We celebrated this weekend our one year dating anniversary, after Missy spoke at all three services and treated the Sleeths to dinner at Giuseppe's. Just a little Thank You for bringing us together. It was the least we could do on behalf of our "coincidental" meeting. We are so happy we don't quite know what to do with ourselves! God is faithful.

This image was shot in the Spring of 2007 one morning while heading out Bryan Station Road in Lexington. I still remember the moment. What a delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment